PDA

View Full Version : Royal Naval Transport.

Batstiger
05-11-2007, 11:36
Although this thread is not about any RN ships specifically it is about a Navy branch in the First world war.
I am trying to find out about the Royal Naval Transport. My father at the tender age of 18 trained as a wireless telegraphist and was granted a Certificate of proficiency in Radiotelegraphy by the Postmaster General in the latter part of the war.
He then joined the RNT and was attached to two ships before the war concluded.
The two ships he served on were the SS Admiral Cochrane and the SS Upminster ion Admiralty service.
Can anyone tell me anything about these two ships please as I can find no reference in any of my books and can you tell me anything about the RNT?
I am attaching a couple of pictures of the old chap although it won't help a lot.

SOLENT
09-11-2007, 18:57
Hi Batstiger

S.S. ADMIRAL COCHRANE
British cargo ship
ID No. 1140327
6565 tons
Built 1917
Builder Doxford
Owner Byron S.S. Co. Ltd.

S.S. UPMINSTER
British cargo ship
ID No. 1140255
2176 tons
Built 1917
Builder Osbourne Graham
Owner J.Hudson Co, Ltd.

Hope this helps you

John

Batstiger
09-11-2007, 19:27
Thank you John it's a start!

Bob.

Alan B
10-11-2007, 07:21
Hiya
Re the RNT
I can only presume it was a forerunner of the later RNSTS (Royal Naval Supply and Transport Service). They were the ships, Tankers, Storeships etc, and people who supplied the fleet at sea and abroad aswell as based in Victualling Depots and Armament Depots. The crew were mainly Merchant navy but there was also a detachment of RN for Gunnery, Wireless etc.
Hope this helps
Alan

Batstiger
10-11-2007, 10:17
Thanks Alan, bit by bit I am sure we shall get to the bottom of this.
There is so much that we don't know about Naval history, forums such as this are a great help for our further education.
How many people are sitting on old photographs and service certificates ? They might think they are of no use but when they are introduced to a thread it's amazing how many people can add their two-penny worth.
I think it is a great site and at the age of 71 I am learning all the time through it.
In Yesterdays Daily Telegraph I learnt that an old Captain of mine had passed away. Vice-Admiral Sir Arthur Hezlet. He was the Captain of HMS Battleaxe and Captain "D" of the 6th destroyer squadron 1955/56. The squadron comprised of Battleaxe, Scorpion, (of which he was captain of 49/50) Comet and Contest. He had a very colourful career and there is a very good obituary in the onlie Telegraph.
I digress, thank you once again for your input.

bert-261
18-02-2014, 10:10
Good day Bob, had go at the RNT, and found two pictures on the IWM site, Lorries at Inverness, date unknown, and a W.R.N.S driver 1918.
The links give some info though not a lot, and the third has the ship being renamed. Hope it's of some interest.
Regards, Bert.
http://1914-1918.invisionzone/forum/index.php?show
http://www.uboat.net/wwi/ships_hit/62.html
http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?193939
http://www.wrecksite.eu/aspx?68820

Batstiger
18-02-2014, 12:13
Thank you Bert, every little helps.

Bob.

Mike B
18-02-2014, 16:11
Although this thread is not about any RN ships specifically it is about a Navy branch in the First world war.
I am trying to find out about the Royal Naval Transport. My father at the tender age of 18 trained as a wireless telegraphist and was granted a Certificate of proficiency in Radiotelegraphy by the Postmaster General in the latter part of the war.
He then joined the RNT and was attached to two ships before the war concluded.
The two ships he served on were the SS Admiral Cochrane and the SS Upminster ion Admiralty service.
Can anyone tell me anything about these two ships please as I can find no reference in any of my books and can you tell me anything about the RNT?
I am attaching a couple of pictures of the old chap although it won't help a lot.

Hello Batstinger,
The Royal Naval Transport Service existed prior to 1914 as an Admiralty civilian department to supervise and control (but not man) chartered transports and troopships. It consisted of retired sea officers (mainly RN and RNR) who could be employed ashore or afloat. Early in WWI they were placed in uniform and wore a distinctive cap badge. I can’t make out the detail but the cap badge worn by your Father in the 3rd photo from the left looks very like it – The anchor in the centre was surrounded by a blue circle in which ‘RN Transport’ was embroidered. You might be able to confirm this on closer examination of the photo. In 1921 the RNTS was transferred to the Board of Trade and renamed the Sea Transport Service.
Mike

Batstiger
19-02-2014, 11:55
Thank you Mike, here is the badge in question.

Bob.