PDA

View Full Version : The Mother of all Quizzes

HMS Bergamot
03-11-2007, 18:20
1. Name the naval vessel - attachment number 1.

2. Which ship did, the sinking of, Hubert Danreuther survive?

3. Name the naval vessel - attachment number 2.

4. Which famous author tried to order Gordon Campbell to sail over a sandbank in order to anchor further inside the harbour?

5. Name the naval vessel - attachment number 3.

6. Admiral Reuter, commander of the interned High Seas Fleet, changed flagships. Why?

7. Name the naval vessel - attachment number 4, and the battle that it took part in?

8. Name the two British submarines that Godfrey Herbert survived the sinking of.

Have fun!

Answers on the 14th November

kc
05-11-2007, 22:37
I know the answer to number one!

But as the site admin I don't think it would be fair for me to participate. I remember adding that very photo to the site a few years back and actually correctly remembered the name of the ship - although I did have to check :D.

Therefore I am not identifying the ship as much as remembering the photo from before, so again that would be unfair. I will however give a clue to everyone and I hope the quizmaster doesn't mind :

It's not a submarine :)

HMS Bergamot
06-11-2007, 09:17
Not in the slightest, KC, and well remembered! I wouldn't have minded, and still don't mind, if you have a go, even with that knowledge.

By the way, has anyone else pointed out to you that your rank is 'Admiral of the FEET'??

Regards!!!

Batstiger
06-11-2007, 11:31
Great questions ! as regards to the answers I haven't a clue.
How about a quiz for us nozzers preferably pictures?

tonclass
06-11-2007, 12:33
I'm with Batstiger on this one. Not a clue !!

Any chance of the answers before the 14th ??

Batstiger
06-11-2007, 12:50
Question 8 would be a bit of a gamble. I have recollections of a person surviving from both the Thetis and the Truculent and I was told that he was attached to the Affray but did not sail with her on that fateful day.

HMS Bergamot
06-11-2007, 12:57
Anyone else want the answers now?

I'll give a clue. All questions relate to WW1 and its immediate aftermath.

kc
06-11-2007, 13:02
Well, if you are going to give the answers early I should prove that I did know the answer to number 1 at least. Its HMS Malaya.

And as for my title - Admiral of the Feet - it is by design. Well spotted. I thought if I had Admiral of the Fleet it would sound too pompous! :)

John Brown
06-11-2007, 16:28
I'm useless at identifying ships from photos but I'll have a stab at the others:

2. Danreuther survived the sinking of HMS Invincible at Jutland.

4. Gordon Campbell was, himself an author, so is this a trick question?

6. I think this was because he felt some of the crews on the bigger ships were near to mutinity. He transferred to a destroyer as unrest was not so great in the smaller ships. (Might be completely wrong)

8. He escaped from the steam powered submarine K13 and later HMS Thetis.

HMS Bergamot
06-11-2007, 17:10
Well, I'm not going to give you the answers until the 14th, like I promised. However, I can tell you that some of the answers that have been given are correct, and that there are no trick questions. HMS Thetis did not sink in the timespan of the quiz.

Regards!

jbryce1437
06-11-2007, 21:35
No 1 looks like the mast tops of one of the monitors. At a guess I would say HMS Roberts

HMS Bergamot
13-11-2007, 18:22
1. Name the naval vessel - attachment number 1. HMS Malaya

2. Which ship did, the sinking of, Hubert Danreuther survive? HMS Invincible

3. Name the naval vessel - attachment number 2. HMS Mimi

4. Which famous author tried to order Gordon Campbell to sail over a sandbank in order to anchor further inside the harbour? E. Keble Chatterton

5. Name the naval vessel - attachment number 3. HMS Princess Royal

6. Admiral Reuter, commander of the interned High Seas Fleet, changed flagships. Why? The mutinous crew of the Freidrich der Grosse were roller skating on the iron deck above his cabin

7. Name the naval vessel - attachment number 4, and the battle that it took part in? HMS Otranto and the battle was Coronel.

8. Name the two British submarines that Godfrey Herbert survived the sinking HM Submarines D5 (hit a mine) and K13 (dived with the funnels up).

So, I can declare a winner, John Brown (with a score of 1.5 / 8), who beat kc by .5. It was close, darned close.

Do you want another one for December?

stontamar
11-12-2007, 21:48
Hi - regarding Question 3, Image 2 - is it possible the image could be of either HMS MIMI, as noted in the answer, or HMS TOUTOU. Both were transported overland, as shown in the photograph, by rail, road, through jungle, over mountains and then by river to Kalemie on the western shore of Lake Tanganyika. The two boats, under the command of Lt Cdr Geoffrey Spicer-Simson RN DSO (1876–1947), waited until December 1915, and mounted a surprise attack on the Germans, with the capture of the gunboat Kingani. Another German vessel, the Hedwig, was sunk in February 1916, leaving the Graf von Götzen as the only German vessel remaining on the lake.

Although scuttled by the Germans on 26 July 1916 she was subsequently raised in 1924 and returned to service on the lake in 1927 under the name MV Liemba. As far as I am aware she still provides a ferry service running from Kigoma to Mpulungu.

Incidently this action provided the inspiration for C.S. Forester's 1935 novel, and Humphrey Bogart's subsequent classic 1951 film, 'The African Queen'.

A most interseting event which saw the first capture of a German naval vessel during the First World War by the Royal Navy and also the first capture of a German naval battle ensign in that conflict.

Regards

stontamar

Batstiger
11-12-2007, 22:41
Yes, let's have another quiz but think of the youngsters this time!

culverin
27-03-2011, 19:56
Yes Batstiger, lets.

The question for all our young readers is...

Can you put the name, any name, to any of the following currently operational Royal Navy ship types.
Aircraft carrier.
Battleship.
Battlecruiser.
Cruiser.
Monitor.
Submarine, non nuclear.
Corvette.
M T B or M G B.
Fixed wing aircraft.
Sloop.
Depot ship.

Congratulations.
A lot easier than you imagined.

tonclass
27-03-2011, 23:52
Yes Batstiger, lets.

The question for all our young readers is...

Can you put the name, any name, to any of the following currently operational Royal Navy ship types.
Aircraft carrier. - Helicopters are aircraft. Yes ? Illustrious, Ocean & Argus (limited)
Battleship. - Zilch (dinosaurs)
Battlecruiser. - Zilch (dinosaurs)
Cruiser. - Zilch (Daring class bigger and more heavily armed than original cruisers)
Monitor. - Zilch (dinosaurs)
Submarine, non nuclear. - Zilch (why non-nuclear anyway?)
Corvette. - Zilch (No such thing post ww2 in UK)
M T B or M G B. - Archer class are gunboats (Just) and so are the Gib Squadron.
Fixed wing aircraft. - Bugger all (Agree, this is a big mistake)
Sloop. - Zilch (No such thing post ww2 in UK)
Depot ship. - Diligence

Congratulations.
A lot easier than you imagined.

Still something left, although pretty thin on the ground I agree :o

Teuchter
28-03-2011, 07:45
I reckon the real answer is zero!!