PDA

View Full Version : Portsmouth: Royal Navy Memorials

Melv.
22-10-2007, 09:30
Here is a real gem of a website I have discovered whilst surfing the web for information.
Full of detail and information which I have no doubt will be of use to nearly everybody undertaking any naval history research.

www.memorials.inportsmouth.co.uk

kc
22-10-2007, 11:28
Thanks for the link Melv.

We were thinking of doing something similar for a lot of the smaller 'local' memorials and individual gravestones via the forum. A cemetery near us has the names of some crew from a 19th century training ship (HMS Empress if I recall correctly) and we also have the K.13 submarine memorial nearby us too. K.13 is well known, but there are so many others which could be recorded by local people before they fall into disrepair / become illegible / are forgotten about / etc.

We have some photos of our own and some which have been sent in already by visitors to the site, but will probably wait until we can make a bigger thing of it. Anyone reading this is welcome to get involved of course - we will keep a database of all the info we can get hold of.

As for Portsmouth memorials - it looks like that has already been covered well by the link Melv has provided.

tim lewin
23-10-2007, 05:21
you might also try contacting the War Memorials Trust; I was a trustee for a few years, the trust maintains a database of memorials and helps with their maintainance and restoration.
tim

Here are some pictures of the Malta Siege Memorial We organised in the City near the Tower of London. I will submit a separate story and set of opictures on this in the near future. We also did a memorial at Greenwich to the 22 Americans who volunteered for the RN before the USA enetered the war, this was also a fascinating story, if anyone is interested I can write this up too...

Melv.
26-01-2008, 11:29
I have bumped this link back to the top again as we now have a lot of new members on the forum and they may have missed it.
It is a wealth of information for tracing people.

RCN
05-04-2008, 17:14
I would love to have a few digital photos taken of the HMS Victoria monument in Victoria Park Portsmouth if any member lives in the city & might take for me pls,

thanks in advance,

Bryan (Canada)

tonclass
05-04-2008, 17:54
It's an excellent site, Melv. Found my Great Uncle, David Beattie, on it. He died when HMS KUALA was bombed in Singapore.

bob shayler
04-05-2008, 07:35
Hi everyone,
More photo's from yesterday's walkabout in Portsmouth:

In Grand Parade, adjacent to the slope leading up to the Saluting Platform.

Description
The statue stands on a plinth approx. 1570mms square.

An accompanying plinth states:

This statue depicts Lord Nelson in the undress uniform he wore when leaving Portsmouth for Trafalgar. The coat which he was wearing when mortally wounded has been carefully copied.
He passed over the spot where the statue stands on the 14th September 1805. It faces the place on the beach where he embarked for HMS Victory.
He was short and thin but this cannot be shown in a single statue for if made thin, he appears tall. The uniform is correct to the smallest detail. The sword is a copy of the one he always wore. Portsmouth was the last English town he ever saw.

Finally, the tunnel through which Nelson passed to go to the beach where he was conveyed to Spithead to join Victory which was at anchor there:

bob shayler
04-05-2008, 08:10
Hi everyone,
Attached are photo's of the Falklands Memorial in Old Portsmouth. Unfortunately, you cannot read the inscription but this can be found on the following link:

http://www.memorials.inportsmouth.co.uk/old-portsmouth/falklands_sea.htm

The Memorial is dedicated to the memory of the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Royal Fleet Auxillary and Merchant Navy whose names are recorded there.

At the end of high street, beside the Sally Port next to the Square Tower.

herakles
04-05-2008, 08:18
Thanks Bob for these. A most worthy memorial and a rather good one I feel.

herakles
04-05-2008, 08:27
Thanks for these too Bob! For one who has no chance of seeing these things in real life, I for one appreciate you taking the trouble.

Nelson had a way with words didn't he! :)

I do hope that when today's youth pass by they know who Nelson was.

I'm sorry you are having to delete those "attach" words. I wonder what you are doing to get them in the first place? :confused:

bob shayler
04-05-2008, 09:53
Hi again,
This most impressive Memorial, designed by Sir Robert Lorimer, was erected in the early 1920's to commemorate those members of the Royal Navy who had no known grave.
Identical memorials exist at the two other manning ports, Chatham and Plymouth. Originally designed as a memorial to casualties of the Great War, extensions to commemorate that conflict were added. The three sites being dissimilar for the three sites, different architectural treatment was required for each one.
The architect for the WW2 memorial was Sir Edward Maufe, also responsible for the Air Forces Memorial at Runneymede. Additional sculptures were the work of Charles Wheeler, William Mcmillan and Edward Burton.
This memorial has always been close to my heart as it remembers my great uncle Stoker PO James Shayler, HMS Queen Mary who was killed in action at Jutland.
There is also a fascinating memorial to a crew member of a secret 'Q' Ship which, apparently, was still secret in 2002. He was AB J.S.C. Livesey, a member of the crew of HMS Fidelity.
A very moving memorial containing so many names. Remembered in perpetuity,
regards,
Bob

bob shayler
09-05-2008, 09:21
Originally sited close to the point where Nelson departed our shores for the last time on the 14th September 1805, the anchor from Victory was initially un-mounted. Laid down in 1852, it was dedicated to the memory of Nelson and all those who fought at Trafalgar by Lord Frederick FitzClarence, Lieutenant – Governor of Portsmouth.
It was later re-sited to Southsea by the then Borough Engineer of Portsmouth, H. Percy Boulnois who designed and erected a granite base upon which the anchor was mounted. Thinking the anchor looked rather bare, he had it wreathed in a heavy anchor chain. This was very quickly removed when a naval friend pointed out to him that anchor chains were unknown in Nelson’s time, heavy hawsers being used instead.
The anchor has been refurbished a number of times over the years and is now all but a replica,
(Unfortunately, it is currently surrounded by a temporary unsightly fence),
regards,
Bob

briser_fae_the_broch
09-05-2008, 20:34
http://pmsa.cch.kcl.ac.uk/images/nrpAH/AHAnglesey01111.jpg
Nice photos. Quite a contast in condition of statue with the Nelson one on Anglesey :(

Kevin123
12-11-2008, 13:13
Hi RCN I've just read your post about Victoria park in Portsmouth. I live a few miles away, do you still need those photos. Kevin.

stewart mcloughlin
24-01-2009, 15:16
After ten years of trying, I have just this morning traced the son of one of our village's WW2 casualties, in Australia. He never met his father as he was born after he was killed. An exchange of information held by both of us is taking place, but I do not have a picture of the Portsmouth Naval Memorial where his father is commemorated on Panel 64, Column 1.
Is there anyone down that way that could oblige please?
The name is A.B. T. E. WAUD on HMS Martin, sunk during the Operation Torch landings in North Africa, 1942.
If you can help, e.mail to ... big DOT makk AT virgin DOT net.
See you in the 'Still and West' next time I'm down your way.
TIA
Stewart

Batstiger
24-01-2009, 15:43
Hi Stewart

Actually it is on panel 65. I called up Flickr and there are pictures of every panel on the memorial.
Here is the link. If you have no joy let me know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/webrarian/582726844/sizes/l/in/set-72157600422057520/

Cheers, Bob.

stewart mcloughlin
24-01-2009, 16:52
Many thanks Bob,
I wasn't aware of the site.
Must get a keyboard with bigger letters.
It's amazing after all this time of searching, how everything starts falling into place. I have at least doubled the information I had only one week ago after all these years of searching, with much more to come apparantly. One domino falls and it all comes tumbling down.
Many thanks once again. Another one I owe you for.
Stewart

Kevin123
24-01-2009, 18:14
Hi Stewart. I only live 10 miles a way from the memorial, I would've got that photo for you if you still needed it. Here's an old postcard of the memorial instead. Kevin.

alanbenn
24-01-2009, 21:46
Stewart, welcome and in case you don't have one here's a photo of Hms Martin and the link below will also give you the ships badge photo too!

http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32590&d=1232833397

Regards
Alan

stewart mcloughlin
26-01-2009, 00:34
Thanks Alan & Kevin. The one pointered by Bob will do just fine. Got some good pictures of the ship and her badge already. Much obliged for your interest.
Stewart

historydavid
26-01-2009, 00:58
Stewart, this is his entry on the memorial listing:

WAUD, Able Seaman, THOMAS EDWARD, P/JX 314485. H.M.S. Martin. Royal Navy. 10th November 1942. Age 32. Son of Herbert Edward and Margaretta Waud; husband of Mildred Waud, of Penwortham, Lancashire. Panel 65, Column 1.

Linton
26-01-2009, 18:30
Does anybody have an alphabetical list of those on the memorial?

historydavid
29-01-2009, 01:32
I have the CGWC listing for the Portsmouth Memorial, which is in alphabetical order, with ship name, family info. etc.

Full listing is over 230 pages, so would require an email address to send.

Linton
30-01-2009, 14:59
David,I am looking for all of the men of HMS Turbulent.Would you be able to help please?

stewart mcloughlin
30-01-2009, 18:45
You'll find the casualty list at:-

http://www.naval-history.net/xDKCas1943-03MAR.htm

listed under the 23rd March, 1943.

Various dates given for her demise due to the uncertainty of her fate.

You can then go into Geoff's Search Engine at:-

http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/sxww2.php?value=1&pageno=1

where it would be easier to then bring up each individual casualty certificate from the CWGC.

Stewart

stewart mcloughlin
30-01-2009, 19:49
Linton,
By sheer chance I was searching The Times archive for something else and came across the notification of the loss of HMS Turbulent with a casualty list.
Only about 3 column inches.
If you are interested, e.mail me at big DOT makk AT virgin DOT net and I'll forward it.
Stewart

Linton
30-01-2009, 20:17
Thank you both.The casualty list I have has a few discrepancies regarding initials.

warshipdisposal
20-05-2009, 15:57
This Is Where The Survivors Of Hms Coventry And Hms Sheffield (t42)hold Their Respective Services Each Year, The Coventry Is Holding Theirs The Sunday After The Last May Bank Holiday, All Are Welcome And The Survivors Will Be There Its A Small Service Followed By A Few Wets At The Home Club