PDA

View Full Version : Quiz Questions

AlZictorini
27-09-2007, 10:02
1, Name the RN ship that brought Operation Hurricane to fruition in 1952.

2, When on the afternoon watch you hear 5 bells, what time is it?

3, What is the motto of the French Navy?

4, What is a Wadhook and how do you use it?

5, HMS Sheffield was the first ship to be fitted with a Type 79Y radar set, what was the second ship to have it fitted?

Answers will be posted on 30/09/07

AlZictorini

John Brown
27-09-2007, 10:45
Answers:

1. The frigate HMS Plym

2. 14.30

3. Honneur, Patrie, Valeur, Discipline (Honour, Homeland, Valour, Discipline)

4. It's a double headed corkscrew implement that was used to remove cloth and any other debris left inside muzzle loading cannons after firing. The tool was probably used once in every three or four firings.

5. A bit of a guess but I think this was HMS Rodney.

Melv.
28-09-2007, 15:22
Answer 1-4 same as John Brown

Answer No 5 and it is only a good (possibly!) guess I am sorry to say, is

5. HMS Hood.

AlZictorini
30-09-2007, 20:03
1, Name the RN ship that brought Operation Hurricane to fruition in 1952. – HMS Plym

2, When on the afternoon watch you hear 5 bells, what time is it? - 2:30pm.

3, What is the motto of the French Navy? – “Honneur, Patrie, Valeur, Discipline” “Honour, Homeland, Valour, Discipline”.

4, What is a Wadhook and how do you use it? - A double screw headed shaft with a wooden handle, used to remove an unfired Wad & Charge (or the remnants of a fired Charge) from a gun barrel/cannon.

5, HMS Sheffield was the first ship to be fitted with a Type 79Y Radar set, what was the second ship to have it fitted? – HMS Rodney

Well done Ladies & Gents on attempting the above Quiz. Full marks to John Brown who receives the Quiz rating of Salty Old Seadog, good stab also Melv.

Regards AlZictorini - John, your turn for the next Quiz Questions.......

John Brown
01-10-2007, 13:20
Thanks ALZ

I'll try to think up some good ones.

Regards...John

John Brown
04-10-2007, 14:14
Taking over from ALZictorini then:

1. Which WW1 cruiser was nicknamed 'packet of woodbines' by allied sailors and why?

2. What was the safety device fitted to HM Submarines as a result of the HMS Thetis tradgedy in 1939? (What was it called and what did it do?)

3. Which vessel survived the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour and became the first warship to be torpedoed and sunk by an enemy submarine after WW2?

4. Who was the commander of the destroyer HMS Garry when she sank a U-boat on 19th July 1918?

5. Which ship hosted talks between Harold Wilson and Ian Smith over Rhodesia's Unilateral Declaration of Independence in 1966?

6. The German surrender in the channel Islands was taken aboard which ship in 1945?

Answers will be posted on 9th Oct

tim lewin
04-10-2007, 15:58
sure the answer to #5 is the poor old much-altered Tiger?

AlZictorini
04-10-2007, 16:47
A1. The Russian cruiser Askold (Аскольд) – Between 1918-20 she was taken over by the RN becoming HMS Glory IV. She had five thin funnels which led British sailors to nickname her “Packet of Woodbines “after the thin cigarettes they smoked.

A2. The Thetis Clip. A modifications introduced as a result of the accident. This is a latch which allows a torpedo tube door to be opened no more than a small amount in case it is open to the sea at the bow end. Once it is clear that no flooding will occur the latch can be released and the door fully opened

A3. USS Phoenix (CL-46) - ARA General Belgrano

A4. Lieutenant-Commander Charles Herbert Lightoller – The u-boat being UB110.

A5. Harold Wilson and Ian Smith opened talks on Rhodesia aboard the cruiser HMS Tiger, on 2nd December 1966.

A6. German forces surrendered unconditionally aboard HMS Bulldog.

Melv.
04-10-2007, 17:48
sure the answer to #5 is the poor old much-altered Tiger?

Fearless or what!... and what a nonsense that business was all about eh! The result you can see in Mugabe's and other African Countries.
I was involved in some of this business as well........
Sorry still trying to answer some of the questions........:D
I know the submarine story.....and the answer.......terrible story when you read the events leading up to and after the tragic accident.

John Brown
09-10-2007, 08:25
Answers

1. Which WW1 cruiser was nicknamed 'packet of woodbines' by allied sailors and why?

The German built Russian cruiser 'Askold'. Her five thin funnels reminded allied sailors of Woodbine cigarettes which could be bought in packets of five.

2. What was the safety device fitted to HM Submarines as a result of the HMS Thetis tradgedy in 1939? (What was it called and what did it do?)

A latch called a 'Thetis clip'. It allows an inner torpedo tube door to be opened just enough to check that the tube is empty of water and thereby confirming the outer door is closed.

3. Which vessel survived the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour and became the first warship to be torpedoed and sunk by an enemy submarine after WW2?

The cruiser USS Phoenix which later became the Argentinian Cruiser 'General Belgrano' and was sunk by the British Sumarine 'Conqueror' during the Falklands conflict in 1982

4. Who was the commander of the destroyer HMS Garry when she sank a U-boat on 19th July 1918?

If ever someone deserved to have a film made about his life, it is this man.....

Charles Herbert Lightoller who was, of course, Second Officer on the 'Titanic' when she sank.

5. Which ship hosted talks between Harold Wilson and Ian Smith over Rhodesia's Unilateral Declaration of Independence in 1966?

HMS Tiger

6. The German surrender in the channel Islands was taken aboard which ship in 1945?

The destroyer HMS Bulldog

Well Done ALZictorini for providing all the correct answers. Let's have some more questions from you.

Well done for having a go Melv.

Thanks to anyone else who played along at home.

Regards....John.

Melv.
09-10-2007, 11:33
I'll do the next quiz if you like........
I can promise it won't be too hard! :D

John Brown
09-10-2007, 13:32
Melv

That's ok by me. I guess it's ALZs call as he was the winner of the last quiz. Or start another one anyway!

Regards...John

Melv.
09-10-2007, 16:36
Melv

That's ok by me. I guess it's ALZs call as he was the winner of the last quiz. Or start another one anyway!

Regards...John

Yep! No problem...... off you go ALZ.... over to you!

AlZictorini
09-10-2007, 19:31
Go for it Melv

Your the Quiz Master for the next round.....

Regards

AlZictorini

Hume Waring
15-02-2008, 01:32
Answers

The German built Russian cruiser 'Askold'. Her five thin funnels reminded allied sailors of Woodbine cigarettes which could be bought in packets of five.

A latch called a 'Thetis clip'. It allows an inner torpedo tube door to be opened just enough to check that the tube is empty of water and thereby confirming the outer door is closed.

The cruiser USS Phoenix which later became the Argentinian Cruiser 'General Belgrano' and was sunk by the British Sumarine 'Conqueror' during the Falklands conflict in 1982

If ever someone deserved to have a film made about his life, it is this man.....

Charles Herbert Lightoller who was, of course, Second Officer on the 'Titanic' when she sank.

HMS Tiger

The destroyer HMS Bulldog

Well Done ALZictorini for providing all the correct answers. Let's have some more questions from you.

Well done for having a go Melv.

Thanks to anyone else who played along at home.

Regards....John.
Do you have any history on HMS Bulldog -my father served on her as an Electrical or radar officer seconded from the RCN. He was on board from March '43 to April '43 .

Many thanks for help

Hume Waring