PDA

View Full Version : On this day "Special"

Batstiger
31-07-2008, 19:01
I was going to put this on the thread "On this day" but I felt that it marked a very special day that changed many lives in the Royal Navy!
I am, of course, referring to an event that took place thirty eight years ago today. The 31st July 1970.
The NAVAL RUM RATION to men of age was stopped forever!
May it be forever remembered.

Bob.

bob shayler
31-07-2008, 19:12
A sad day indeed Bob. Another fine tradition on the scrapheap,
regards,
Bob

astraltrader
31-07-2008, 19:29
A good post Bob.

herakles
31-07-2008, 20:20
It's recorded in the On This Day thread

astraltrader
31-07-2008, 23:04
Well done Richard.

romft1945
31-07-2008, 23:27
Thats a sad reminder,I was on HMS JUPITER when the Rum was stopped,still some doubt as to what ship had the last issue,we say it was us as we were in the States but others will disagree it was rather nice while it lasted the 8 or so yeras I had it,we used to get all sorts of favours for a sipper more for gulpers and the whole tot was worth a days duty so you could ashore,we did some desperate or daft things in those days,even with the blue liners the amount of civvies in my town smoking them when I came home,the beer was a good exchange rate,300 blue liners for 7/6p kept you in beer all weekend,
HIC ROMFT:eek:

Batstiger
01-08-2008, 10:21
Richard, I see the point of your remark but I thought I would make a special point of giving the topic its own space as there are numerous ex RN personnel members of this forum and perhaps they would like to add their own remarks to the thread.

Regards,

Bob.

astraltrader
01-08-2008, 14:36
You were right to do so Bob. It does no harm to duplicate this. As you rightly said it allows members to expand comments about this scrapping of RN tradition...

herakles
01-08-2008, 19:03
Richard, I see the point of your remark but I thought I would make a special point of giving the topic its own space as there are numerous ex RN personnel members of this forum and perhaps they would like to add their own remarks to the thread.

Regards,

Bob.

I couldn't agree with you more Bob

Patwalker37srpen
05-08-2008, 16:02
We too as Marines got our daily tot when on board. I remember getting it for the first time on the Albion when we were carried across to Borneo for the confrontation in 1963. What still lingers in my mind is the strength of it even when diluted down and as a young lad it made me feel slightly `woozy`. We used to have to form up on the cable deck and have it issued from there and were not allowed to leave the deck till it had been drunk. This being rigourously enforced by the duty Chief P/O One thing I do remember was it gave you an appetite enough to eat a horse, probably a good thing since the meat was always a bit suspect anyway !!
I suppose it had to go once the sophistication of radar and electronic systems became so good that you could not afford to have somebody operating it who was not %100 alert.
I recall the senior rates had theirs neat which would take your breath away and probably explained why so many slept away the afternoons.!!

wiggy
21-08-2008, 20:16
UP SPIRITS ,Lads!!

astraltrader
29-09-2008, 16:37
Just thought I would stick this fine old photo in to the thread.

I guess it was taken around 1900...

ChalkyWhite
29-09-2008, 16:57
Hello Terry,

A great photo but I suspect this is a posed image.
Whatever happened to those holystoned, immaculate decks I cannot imagine a capital ship of that era having wooden decks as filthy as that shown. It almost appears to be after 'coal ship'.
Also Ratings would never in my experience ever have collected the mess rum issue in open 'dishes' like shown here. It was always collected in what was called a 'Fanny' like a large tall saucepan, the size of which was governed by how many in that particular mess were entitled.

Finally if this was to be a proper Rum Issue there would have been at least a couple of officers present, plus another Petty Officer with a board ticking off the mess and it's entitlement.Although the Royal Marine is apparently filling the tub with rum there was, especially on a capital ship, which this appears to be, strict supervision of every aspect of the rum issue.

I expect Bob will remember, as I do, lots of hooks and badges which went down the pan due to rum!!

As I say still a great shot.

Chalky

SCRG1970
29-09-2008, 20:43
Bob
Thanks for that reminder of what at the time seemed a SAD day. I was on DIDO and the Senior Rates had a mock funeral on the quarterdeck . We consigned a tot to the deeps ! Not mine I should add.

However serving another twelve years without the tot I think that the introduction of spirits in lieu opened up a whole new social life. Certainly the female guests onboard would agree as they no longer had to choose between a beer or a tot !!!

Gerry

SCRG1970
29-09-2008, 20:56
Just remembered I had this PC tucked away.

It may be posed but what a sense of humour the lads had on the Lord Nelson.

Enjoy

Gerry

Harley
29-09-2008, 21:32
Lovely picture, Gerry! Everyone looks suitably disgusted for the occasion.

Simon

Chris Howat
07-11-2008, 20:41
At Arbroath, HMS Condor, on the day the rum ration was abolished, a cask was buried with full naval ceremony in a flower bed on the edge of the parade ground. The funeral party wore uniforms from the early 1800s.
My guess is that the cask was empty otherwise it would have vanished overnight!