PDA

View Full Version : Posting naval pics on the site.

Patwalker37srpen
25-07-2008, 10:29
Dear Batstiger,
Not qute sure how to get the info needed for posting pictures on the site.
You seem to have all sorts of answers and pretty knowledgable about most things and also some excellent pics of ships and things.
In letters of one syllable and in sequence, how can I post a couple of pics of members of 703 flotilla LCP(L)`s. The first was taken in May 1943 some while after Dieppe and shows about fifty two Officers and ratings and the second was taken in May 1944 just before D-Day. My Father appears in both as one of the Flotilla Officers and I wonder how many of those shown actually made it to the end of the war. Other than my Father I do not know a single name or identity but someone out there may well do.
thanking you for your help in advance.

Batstiger
25-07-2008, 11:26
Pat, I am sending you a PM in the next few minutes, we'll take it from there when you receive it.

Bob.

Batstiger
25-07-2008, 11:45
The PM should be there by now,

Bob.

Patwalker37srpen
26-07-2008, 14:06
Dear Commodore Batstiger,
Apologies for only now getting back to you, but I logged off before I got your reply which was so fast.!!
I have attempted to put the two pics of 703 Flotilla on the section called `Photo Gallery` after your very precise instructions which I think even as an IT dinosaur I managed to grasp !!
It would be great if someone managed to recognise a face in the pics, if they are still alive they would have to be in their late 80`s or early 90`s.
My Father had to be invalided out in late 1944 suffering the effects of being continually poisoned by the chemicals used in the smoke making, something like Chlorophosphoric acid, and when the wind changed you got a good dose. He said that after a while it ate its way through all sorts of materials even metals.!
You are right my first name is Patrick, and I love the site for all its banter and extremely knowledgable people. Not much gets past them I don`t think.
I have put one other short post in the questions section about Naval Abbreviations.
I may have some pics of subs from the family album for later. One half of the family was in this branch.
best regards and many thanks for your help

herakles
26-07-2008, 19:54
Thanks for the nice comments about the site Patrick.

That chemical sounds frightful. If you have the name right it would be dangerous - a combination of chlorine and phosphorus.

Wind changes were a serious problem as was learned in WW1 when launching gas attacks.

Batstiger
26-07-2008, 20:53
It's a pleasure Patrick!
You will find this site has many friendly and helpful people aboard who will be only too pleased to help you should you get stuck at all.
I missed out the main word "Knowledgable"

Regards, Bob.

PS. Please forget the rank, it's only a bit of fun.

Wombat
13-11-2008, 10:54
Bob,

I am having a particular problem when attaching a picture to a posting. Everything seems to look alright until I submit the post, but when it comes up on the forum the picture is broken up.

I am using Jpeg. Is this the best format to use?
Should it be a particular size?

Every one else seems to get good clear crisp images, have you any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Wombat,
(James).

Batstiger
13-11-2008, 11:16
See PM James.

Bob.