PDA

View Full Version : Rare Australian Postcard

astraltrader
29-05-2008, 23:59
For especially all you Australians in the forum I thought you might like to see this very early postcard. It dates from about 1900-1902 and shows one of the first convict ships to sail to Australia in what I suppose is meant to be a humorous fashion!

Kevin Denlay
30-05-2008, 05:58
Oh well there was a time when anything with an Australian content would be certain to produce an opinion...

Well what can I say Terry, you sent your best and brightest out to our fair shores, albeit in chains, and have lived to regret it in various fields of endevour ever since! :D

Kevin

astraltrader
30-05-2008, 11:00
That was what I was hoping and expecting to get! Thanks Kevin:):):):)

John Brown
30-05-2008, 15:41
Kevin

The only regret we have about sending our convicts to OZ is that we stopped doing it ;)

Regards....John

Joseph
30-05-2008, 17:10
Any Bunting to**ers, I wonder what the flags say?

Regards Charles

herakles
30-05-2008, 20:39
Kevin

The only regret we have about sending our convicts to OZ is that we stopped doing it ;)

Regards....John

In fact John, you haven't stopped the practice. Oz is still a convenient place to deposit a few of your erring souls when a new life is needed.

astraltrader
30-05-2008, 21:22
Is that still the case? I thought that the opposite was now true - a friend of mine who is quite wealthy had a residency application turned down purely because of a Cannabis conviction which he picked up whilst at University back in 1969!

Kevin Denlay
30-05-2008, 23:00
KevinThe only regret we have about sending our convicts to OZ is that we stopped doing it ;)

Now, now, John, jealousy is a curse. You must a cricket fan then, no? ;)

K

Kevin Denlay
30-05-2008, 23:05
In fact John, you haven't stopped the practice. Oz is still a convenient place to deposit a few of your erring souls when a new life is needed.

Hey, wait a minute, I didnt think it was still mandatory to have a criminal record to get in to Australia anymore?

K

herakles
30-05-2008, 23:34
Kevin, I was referring to the habit of depositing certain English that need a new place to hide - not in England.

I don't know the rules about having a previous and gaining entry to Oz. I suspect it is sill a factor.

stewart mcloughlin
31-05-2008, 00:16
You can have our current Home Secretary. No charge. She's admitted abusing the weed, mind you the majority of our UK politicians are now of that University era and everyone was doing it then, along with banning the bomb, free love and all that.
I think we should re-invent the wheel and start convict ships off again rather than build more prisons on the countryside. Just cast them off at Plymouth with months rations and leave them to it, with no reverse gear.
Stewart

herakles
31-05-2008, 00:55
Stewart! Good to see you posting again.

Be rest assured - if there's any vice, politicians will be practising it.

Your jail population is now at such a high level that I'll bet riots break out soon.

I take your point about using hulks and throwing away the key. But you need to answer this -

either the UK is full of citizens hell bent on breaking the law OR

the laws are unrealistic.

For what it's worth, my money is on the second option.

There was a most interesting article in the Press yesterday that sheets home a fair deal of the teenage crime problem to the Welfare State. As well as the current Govt.'s ineptitude.

What think thou?

John Brown
31-05-2008, 13:54
Now, now, John, jealousy is a curse. You must a cricket fan then, no? ;)

K

Cricket Fan? no sorry. I find it about as interesting as watching paint dry! Same with golf I'm afraid.

The drugs conviction issue has always baffled me. As some of you say, it can prohibit entry to a foreign country, yet over here it is no barr to the likes of Paul McCartney being made a Knight of the Realm:confused:

Regards....John

Kevin Denlay
31-05-2008, 15:30
Cricket Fan? no sorry. I find it about as interesting as watching paint dry! Same with golf I'm afraid.

Hear, hear on that score, except way more so on golf. ;) But given that we, well err the ozzies that is, as I donít play cricket either, regularly kick the..................well you know what we kick......of the English cricket team, thought you might have been griping about our antipoidean superiorty at that. :D But wait, itís the football season isnít it? :eek: So no, I donít want to hear a word about that damn Johnny Wilkinson either. :mad:

K

John Brown
31-05-2008, 16:28
Kevin

I think you may have mis interpreted my post about our having stopped sending convicts to OZ. I only meant that if we still transported them, we would not have any problems with re offenders here in Britain as we do now.

Regards ....John

herakles
31-05-2008, 19:21

The drugs conviction issue has always baffled me. As some of you say, it can prohibit entry to a foreign country, yet over here it is no barr to the likes of Paul McCartney being made a Knight of the Realm:confused:

Regards....John

Shame on you John! That's the whole point about cricket. That one can sit for 5 days and watch a game that ends in a draw. Anywayz, cricket always was England's secret civilising weapon. Can't say the same for silly soccer however.

As for drugs, I thought the entire young generation is taking them anyway.