PDA

View Full Version : RN Rifle Team

warbreck
13-03-2008, 10:52
This photo taken at Bisley about 1953/4. I think we were all from Nore Command. Anybody recognize anyone or has info? I am the killick, second from left, front row. L/Sea Skilling next to me.

L/Sea Eddie Skilling and I at Sheerness Rifle Range? at Division Competion.

Batstiger
13-03-2008, 11:18
What on earth is a Chief Petty Officer with a Lanchester doing in a crack rifle team? They were far more effective being used as a club than trying to shoot something?

Bob, ex Guzz marksman.

John Brown
14-03-2008, 15:59
Warbeck

You look familiar...were you an extra in 'The Yangtse Incident'? :)

Regards...John

warbreck
14-03-2008, 22:21
Hi John, I have been in many "incidents" but never in China. I have one of those faces one can't forget or remember whom. Jim.

John Brown
14-03-2008, 22:59
Jim

Good reply. Glad to have you aboard.

Regards...John

Harley
15-03-2008, 11:30
The picture of L/Sea Skilling and yourself Jim - is that a P.14 slung over the shoulder?

Harley

warbreck
17-03-2008, 00:01
Hi Harley, We had two rifles for competion, SRa and SRb. I believe they were SRb's we were carrying. Jim.

Batstiger
17-03-2008, 00:07
I was always under the impression that they were Mk 4 Enfields Jim. 2 Brens 1 Lanchester and I don't know what weapon the Chief on the right is holding.

Bob.

herakles
17-03-2008, 00:12
There was no rifle as good as the dear old 0.303 for competitive shooting and there never will be!

Harley
17-03-2008, 01:27
Hi Harley, We had two rifles for competion, SRa and SRb. I believe they were SRb's we were carrying. Jim.

On the photo I really couldn't see a magazine, and the bolt handle looked like a Pattern 14, hence my question. I'm just intrigued as to what Navy would be doing with P.14s, other than they shoot well with a set of decent sights on.

Harley

warbreck
17-03-2008, 08:55
The rifles are .303s. SRa is a standard, hole in the back and a point at the front and the SRb has an adjustable back sight. What the chiefs are holding, I haven't a clue and the bren guns I think are only for show. I can't remember anyone blasting away with a Bren at Bisley. We were competing against people from all over the world. On certain days only against other military units. My son now has my cups, medals and Target Book. Jim

Stan.J
18-03-2008, 16:21
Have in my posession a pewter tankard. Have taken a pic. of it.Not very good.
However at the top there is a mark. TT. In the centre a wreath with crossed rifles.
Below 1966. Then CHINA CUP .
Minor units winners .Anyone know anything about it?

Patwalker37srpen
16-05-2008, 11:21
I think you will find the left PO is holding a 9mm Stirling SMG. The right one is poorly visible but could be a Sten gun though god knows why ?
The rifles are most probably Lee Enfield No 4`s and 303 as are the Bren guns at the front.
I was a member of the Royal Marine Corps shooting team in 1970 and 1971 at Bisley being stationed in 41 Cdo at the time. We still used the 9MM Sterling out to 75 yds and also 9mm Browning pistol. SLR, GPMG and Target rifle out to 1100 yds on the longer ranges. It paid to be reasonably good at them all since there were a great variety of different types of shoots, some deliberate, some rapid, some automatic and some with fire and movement.
And for every shoot there was a stint in the Butts.!
The first two weeks was taken up by `Service Rifle` which involved SLR, Pistol,Sterling and GPMG then the next two weeks were Target Rifle with shooters coming from all over the world to take part. Age was no hindrance and I can remember seeing older men well into their 60`s and 70`s lying prone on the long ranges and putting ten shots in the bull at a 1000yds. Scores were then decided by the number of hits within the smaller `V` Bull in the very centre.
Patrick Walker

Batstiger
16-05-2008, 14:56
I agree with you there Patrick as regards the Sterling. I unwisely said it was a Lanchester but on closer inspection it obviously isn't.
Here is the good old Lanchester accurate to anything up to a mile!!

Jim in Annville
16-05-2008, 16:54
Now hold on a minute. As much as I love Enfields ( I own two) I will have to disagree on them being the best competitive shooting rifle. Springfield 03 will give them a run for their money. Also the M-14.

johnny07
24-08-2011, 19:43
Now hold on a minute. As much as I love Enfields ( I own two) I will have to disagree on them being the best competitive shooting rifle. Springfield 03 will give them a run for their money. Also the M-14.

I think that my Moisan Nagant will put both of those in the shade.

Jim in Annville
25-08-2011, 15:46
Blasphemy!!!! Johnny07. You know there was once a Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant that said almost the same thing to me. It cost him two cases of beer :D LOL.

johnny07
26-08-2011, 13:42
Blasphemy!!!! Johnny07. You know there was once a Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant that said almost the same thing to me. It cost him two cases of beer :D LOL.

Ok then , If it's going to get serious I'll dust off my Mauser K 98. ;)