PDA

View Full Version : A Day on the Thames

John Brown
09-03-2008, 14:50
Yesterday (8/03/08) I went for a lunch cruise on the Thames followed by a 'flight' on the London Eye.

Here are a couple of bang up to date pics of HMS Belfast. Looks as though she is having quite a bit of work done at the moment.

Also a picture from the top of the Eye showing the Wellington (left) and President (right) moored on the Thames. A brief account of the (ex HMS) Wellington can be found at:

http://www.thewellingtontrust.com/wellington_trust/saving_ship_wellington.asp

All pics were taken on a very grey day and through glass so I apologise for the quality.

John

Batstiger
09-03-2008, 15:25
Great pics John. I should like to have a look at the Belfast myself but hope to visit the Cavalier this summer.

Bob.

herakles
09-03-2008, 21:23
I thought that every day was a grey and gloomy one where you are John!

A few years ago we took a trip down the Thames to Greenwich. I was impressed by the development of the whole area. Yuppy housing everywhere! And a good view of THAT dome.

John Brown
09-03-2008, 21:42
I have to say Herakles that the only thing I would ever leave Britain for is to experience a dryer climate:o

John

herakles
09-03-2008, 21:58
Some years ago, Channel 4 ran a series on English that had migrated to Oz. One man, a thoroughly competent TV producer from the BBC, was asked what he missed most having left Britain. He thought for a moment then said: "France"!

John Brown
17-04-2011, 21:56
As it was my 60th Birthday yesterday I was treated to lunch at Londons' OXO Tower and it was superb. For anybody that has never tried it I would definitely recommend a visit.

Here are a few photos of HMS Wellington and HMS President taken from the restaurant. There are also a couple taken from ground level on the South Bank and for anybody not familar with 'Duck Tours' I have included photos of their vehicles.

Regards...John

John Brown
17-04-2011, 22:45
After lunch we took a boat trip on the Thames and whilst passing St Katherines pier I spotted Winston Churchills funeral boat 'Havengore' moored alongside. Strangely, although our boat was full of tourists, the guy giving a commentary during the trip made no mention of the boat or its history:confused:

Regards...John